Our updated Rulebook is posted under the Resources/Links tab above. Below is a summary of the changes to this year's Rulebook from our Rules Committee. Please make sure you're taking time to read the Rulebook in preparation for our upcoming season, and reach out to a Board Member should you have any questions!
Rule Changes Synopsis:
- Article VI – General Membership Meetings, section B: Spring membership meeting will be at least 5 weeks after the WGI season is over.
- Article VIII – Elections, section B: Guard directors will elect guard Board members; percussion and winds directors will elect percussion and winds Board members; everyone will elect President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- Rule 3 – Used to be called “Dues,” will now be “Membership”. The membership application will be due with membership dues by December 1.
- Rule 4 – Classes: WGI is now offering Percussion Scholastic Concert A class. So that now falls under our statement “MCGC shall provide sanctioned contests which offer competition in all classes offered at WGI Championships.” We no longer need to list it as an MCGC class.
- Rule 4 – Classes: MCGC will now offer a Regional A Winds class.
- Rule 4 – Classes, section 9.e: The Review Board may request a video of a unit’s performance at a show. If the unit cannot provide a video, and if that unit gets promoted, the unit will not be allowed to protest the promotion.
- Rule 6 – Field Day: Field Day entry fee or opt-out payment will be due by Dec 1st – at the same time as the Membership Application and Dues.
- Rule 9 – Championships Contest, section 3: Units are no longer required to attend one of the first two contest weekends. The minimum number of shows is still 3.
- Rule 9 – Championships Contest, section 3: A unit can send 2 workers to Championships, pay the $300 worker opt-out fee, or send 1 worker and a $150 opt-out fee. If names are not received by March 1st , the opt-out fee is automatically due and the unit may not be allowed to compete until it is paid.
- SOPs – General 4 – Unit Information: Changes made after March 1st to a unit’s show title, member roster, or staff roster may not be included in the Championships program or the unit’s spiel sheet, and may not be reflected in the number of medals that the unit may be awarded.
- SOPs – Forms 3 – Scholastic Eligibility Form: This form was not listed in this area. Now it is.
- SOPs – Contests 8 – Check-In: Access to the show site will not be available to performing units earlier than two (2) hours prior to the start of the contest. Access to unit homerooms or areas may not be available earlier than two (2) hours prior to the unit’s performance time.
- SOPs – Contests 11 – Video recording: Individuals wanting to video record their own unit must have their camera in-hand.
- SOPs – Championships 1 – Championships Performance Schedule: Fine tuning done to the randomization process.
If you're interested in the latest news WGI has shared with local circuit partners at this past weekend's Circuit Partner Symposium, take a look at these notes taken by Secretary Baron Creutz.
As always, contact a Board member should you seek any questions or clarifications!
There are still two open dates to host a MCGC Contest: February 10 (guard only) and February 17. Any member unit wanting to submit an application for either of these days should read the Contest Host Guide, fill out the application completely and submit the application with all of the pages including the Host Commitment Waiver to Laura Goodman at [email protected] before Sept 15.
If a member unit would like to host Solo & Ensemble on March 11 or March 18, please follow the same procedure as hosting a contest and state either 3/11 or 3/18 knowing it will be a Solo & Ensemble contest.
Click "learn more" to access the schedule as it stands right now!
The full Contest Host Application must be emailed to Contest Coordinator Laura Goodman at [email protected] no later than AUGUST 15, 2017.
Questions? Ask Laura or reach out to any Board member!
Sunday, May 7th, 2017 at the James B Henry Center for Executive Development. It is located at 3535 Forest Rd Lansing, MI 48910. Board meeting at 10:30am, General Membership Meeting begins at 1pm.
Parking is shared with the Candlewood Suites Hotel and they have instructed us to enter through the large pillars out front and proceed to the large amphitheater directly off the lobby. (There will be signs to direct you as well.)
Refreshments and snacks will be supplied by Alliance Media.
At this meeting we will be electing the following positions: Vice President of Color Guard, Secretary, MCGC Representative and Percussion Representative. Anyone interested in running for one of these positions please refer to the 2017 Rulebook for job descriptions and requirements to run for an elected position.
Also at this meeting we will be discussing and voting on new rule proposals that have been submitted. Access the proposals by clicking on THIS LINK.
You may access all Board of Director and Committee Reports by clicking on THIS LINK
All member units and committee chairpersons have one vote for both the elections and rule proposal portion of this meeting. If you need to review or change your voting representative, please contact the Secretary at [email protected] by May 1st.
Great job to all the performers and their staff. Thank you to all for another wonderful year for the Michigan Color Guard Circuit.